Well, not sure what to do with this blog now that the Night Shift has officially ended. On Tuesday night we were all sent an email asking us to attend an “important meeting”. Even those on annual leave were asked to come in. Being on the Night Shift, we were some of the first to receive this ominous invite and quickly suspected the worst: they were shutting operations in Dublin.
And that’s what happened. After two days of drama and swift negotiations, the Night Shift has now ceased to exist and we’re required to sign official documents on Wednesday morning. The Day Shift are still active, so if anything changes before we’re due in then we’ll be sure to hear.
I’m not sure how I feel, though. Initially I was relieved, and like many staff in the company, wanted to do something different. I don’t have a clue what that something is or whether rushing into the next available job is the best course of action, but I knew that working for this company wasn’t my calling in life, even if it paid me well for the trouble.
In fact, the wage was what made it difficult to leave. I was paid a nice sum for doing very little, so how sensible would it be to actually leave this place for somewhere else? I have no idea what to do with my life; I don’t know what job would interest me more or what studies I should take. It is very hard to decide when you’re feeling so ambivalent.
I have an interview on Monday morning. It’s for the same job I’m doing now but with a company that offers good perks and pays you to do a vocational course. Not sure that resuming such a job would make me happy. While I was successful at contacting people to settle their finance, it was done on the assumption that they knew it had to happen – and Australians were pretty good, picking up the call instead of ignoring you and proposing repayments which they, for the most part, truthfully honoured.
Now with the Irish, I’m not so sure. I’ve never worked with the Irish. From what I’ve heard, they are less likely to suffer from self-entitlement complex and trust you to resolve the issues that arise. I’ll just have to see how the interview goes. If it happens, then great; the pressure is off and my record for remaining dole-free shall continue unchallenged. If it doesn’t then I can focus on something else, like enjoying free time I’ve been craving for months and deciding what to do about those dreams and ambitions. After all, I’ll have enough money for months yet to come.
Why rush the next step towards a brighter, happier future?