Upon the advice of a good friend studying nutritional health, I have started what she calls a “food diary” in order to determine the one thing I wish to know at this moment: how to get more energy. Since ending my stint on the Night Shift, I am convinced – convinced – that my energy levels have suffered as a direct result of working at night, thus I am looking to reverse the effects of this lifestyle as much as humanly possible.
So what did I eat today?
- 07:15 – chocolate chip muesli with semi-skimmed milk;
- 10:45 – bottle of Tropicana tropical juice;
- 13:00 – cold pasta with tomato, feta cheese & rocket salad; fresh apple slices with a few red grapes;
- 15:15 – small portion of dried mango & praline chocolate buttons;
- 19:00 – Italian tortelloni with tomato, onion & bacon; flash-boiled sugar snap peas
- 20:00 – 2 x Butlers Valentine chocolate
Plus: 2 x decaff tea; 1 x normal tea; 2 x cups of water
I’ve never really kept a record like this, but I’m not too embarrassed by what I’ve been eating. It is, as one can see, balanced with fruits and chocolate! Furthermore, I am now climbing stairs instead of taking the lift to where I work in the office. I’ll be doing this once a day, first thing in the morning, until my shitty stamina can take it twice without death.